Settled in the early 1700s by German and English immigrants, Frederick County gives one the flavor of country living with many special accents of Maryland history. Travel back to a time when life was slower, simpler, more civilized and romantic.
Frederick County is famous for its wineries, first elected Governor Thomas Johnson's Rose Hill Manor and Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Picturesque Sugar loaf Mountain and Lilypons Water Gardens hold an enchantment all their own as do the Catoctin Mountains where Camp David, the presidential retreat, is located. The antique shops of New Market and Frederick are charming, and the train depot and museum at Brunswick fascinate collectors. Many of spiritual inclinations visit the Grotto of Lourdes and the St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Shrine. History buffs enjoy the Barbara Fritchie and Roger B. Taney homes.
Three covered bridges bedeck the roads. The first is Loy's Station, which retains the original 90 foot span and a 12.5 foot roadway. Located on Old Frederick Road, off Rt. 77, three miles from Thurmont, it is surrounded by a five and a half acre park. Roddy Road Covered Bridge, also near Thurmond, dates from 1856 and is considered the best looking of the state's bridges. Surrounding the bridge is a 70 acre natural area for picnicking. Utica Covered Bridge is the largest of the three. Built in 1850, it was moved in 1889, and reassembled over Fishing Creek at Utica Mills on Utica Road off Old Frederick Road.
Thurmont is called the gateway to Camp David and is also the gateway to the mountains. Camp David was originally called High Catoctin. It was renamed Shangri-La by Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and then renamed Camp David by Dwight David Eisenhower. You cannot visit Camp David, but you can drive by Misty Mount at Greentop to see the basic architectural style.
Many prominent Marylanders are interred at Mount Olivet Cemetery in Frederick at 515 S. Market St., including Francis Scott Key. His statue greets visitors and stands nine feet. tall. Signs lead you to the graves of Governor Johnson and Barbara Fritchie, immortalized in Whittier's poem for proclaiming to Stonewall Jackson: "Shoot if you must this old gray head, but spare my country's flag." Take your time and smell the roses, because time travel in Frederick County is a journey to be treasured a lifetime.
Chief Justice Taney Home - Francis Scott Key Museum
Chief Justice Taney and Francis Scott Key shared a law office, now a museum, at 121 S. Bentz St. in Frederick. Built in 1799, it was Taneys's summer home from 1815 to 1823. He was appointed Chief Justice by President Andrew Jackson and is well known for the famous Dred Scott Decision. He believed in interpreting the Constitution to the letter and giving states rights where they were due. He did free all of his slaves from his Calvert Co. estate (then in Frederick Co.) many years before the Civil War and also freed his slaves in Frederick before leaving for Baltimore.
Upstairs is the museum devoted to Key, depicting the room of Key's wife and daughter, whose doll was found with its dress virtually in tact, under the bed clothes. These two rooms contain the original floors and mantels and Key's desk where he wrote his poems and perhaps the National Anthem. Paintings by John Ross Key, his grandson, have among them a portrait of the Key house, torn down when the Key Bridge was erected.
Rose Hill Manor
Rose Hill Manor, the home of Thomas Johnson, Maryland's first elected governor, stands majestically at 1611 N. Market St. in Frederick. You can step into another 90s decade here, that of the 1790s. Visit a pristine example of Georgian Colonial architecture. The large white Georgian home graces the countryside with its splendor close to the main road to Gettysburg.
Governor Johnson nominated his personal friend, George Washington, for the post of Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army.
He purchased 225 acres of the 7000 acre Tasker's Chance tract in 1778. Later, he gave the land to his daughter, Ann Jennings Johnson, while continuing to reside on his estate known as Richfields.
In 1793, Ann Johnson and her husband, Major John Grahame, started building Rose Hill, which was completed in 1798. Governor Johnson left Richfield after the death of his wife and joined the Grahame household, living at Rose Hill until his death in 1833.
During the 19th century, several owners included John McPherson, who owned the Catoctin Iron Works. In 1906, Noah E. Cramer purchased and modernized the house. It now is a museum and offers period furnishing, including spinning wheels and looms in the room that was once the great dining room to the left of the central hall. This room and the ball room across from it are each 22 x 27 feet.
The home offers interpretative demonstrations of colonial family life, with exhibits even children can touch. Costumed docents lead tours. Horse-drawn carriages tour the gardens, with farm implements and a log cabin on display.
Open April-October: Mon-Sat 10am - 4pm, Sun 1pm to 4pm; in November, open weekends only.
Fredrick County: Hazelwood Heights
You will make lasting memories with a taste of simplicity at "Grandma's Treasured Haven" The gentle relating atmosphere is ideal for a leisure retreat, the business traveler, a family vacation or a couples romantic get-away. A lovely three bedroom single dwelling has privacy, comfort and country charm. It's the perfect place to begin and end the day. Fully equipped kitchen, AC, Cable TV/VCR, WASHER/DRYER Complimentary continental breakfast, no smoking inside.
We are centrally located with easy access to Washington D.C., Baltimore's Inner Harbor, the Civil War Battlefields at Antietam, Gettysburg, Harpers Ferry and the Monocacy. Historic Frederick the C.&O. Canal and New Market, Maryland's Antique Capitol, are also near by.
Local attractions include-dining, shopping, antiquing, theater, golfing, hiking, biking, ice skating & skiing.
Hosts: Marion & Glenna Hazelwood. We are located 4 miles from I-70 exit 62 Rt. 75N to 12101 Glissans Mill Rd, Union Bridge 21791 $65 - single -- $95 - double We are open all year. Call us toll free 1-866-444-4048 or reach us at www.hazelwoodheights.com
Morningside Inn invites you to a peaceful haven amid tranquil, rolling hills of Frederick County. The view is especially beautiful at sunrise, as the rose and gold hues flood the fields and forests on the eastern horizon. A "Sunrise Special" gives you freshly baked muffins, biscuits and first brewed coffee as you watch the lovely unfolding drama of dawn. Later, a full country breakfast is served complete with biscuits and home fries.
The inn occupies a renovated bank barn, which was reconstructed in the early 1900s when an even earlier barn burned down. The barn's post and beam construction accents each room. The owner, a contractor, and his cordial wife, restructured the barn for use as an inn. The spacious central great room contains many round oak tables for seating guests at weddings, conferences and other private parties.
The dining room was once used for storing hay but now has tall windows looking out on the magnificent view. On the lower level, a large cafe style verandah with outside tables and a bar for parties overlooks a romantic pond with waterfowl swimming lazily as well as lovely flower gardens. A large conference room with visual meeting equipment, sofas and an antique roll top desk are also on this level. Eight guestrooms are decorated in different motifs and have private baths and seating for two. The decor eludes to the comfortable atmosphere of home as well as the luxury of stylish accommodations. You will find many of the small touches that distinguish this inn as one of the best.
The Bridal Suite is on its own level with private stairway wreathed with chiffon, pearls and ivy. The bed spread is of satin and lace in ivory with a burgundy dust ruffle, and the head board is wreathed with pearls and flowers. A dove nestles in an ivy bouquet and another two cuddle in a bird cage. A large luxurious bath is another enhancement along with the spectacular view.
Charming New Market is just down the road with its delightful variety of antique shops, the only commercial establishments in town other than a tea room and Mealey's historic Restaurant.
In times of Conestoga wagons, it contained at least eight hotels and taverns. Now known as the Antique Capital of Maryland in 1972, it was entered in the National Register.
Innkeepers: Jeannie and Roger Cochran. 8 guest rooms with baths, banquet and conference rooms. Full breakfast. No smoking, no pets, children over 12 only. 5 golf courses, tennis, hiking, bird watching. Antique shops of New Market, historical sites of Frederick.
7477 McKaig Rd, Frederick, MD 21701. 800-786-7403 or 301-898-3920
Shook House and Victorian Manor
Colleen Shook's frame and log house in Historic Frederickis on the National Register. It incorporates three centuries of architecture and was acquired at auction in 1977. The rear log portion dates from circa 1790. The first owner was William Plummer, the founder of the town. The second was Ursula Plummer who was the sister of the founder of New Market. She sold it to her sister. The middle section, circa 1830, and the front five feet date from 1900. The front tree was for many years used as the town Christmas tree, and. a well in the back of the house was once used to supply the town's water. This is a private home, not open to the public.
Victorian Manor is another important house just two doors down. Originally the Jesse Burrall home built around 1880, this distinguished brick house is enhanced with white trim exterior, stone window caps and sills, wide overhanging cornices, hooded dormers and Italian doorways and windows. The front door, originally the introduction to a blacksmith's shop, is flanked and topped with beautiful plain stained glass panels in red, blue and gold. It is now the entrance to a jewelers shop which Mr. Rooney owns and runs in the front parlor of this, his fascinating home. A harp decoration is over the foyer and the stairway has intricate balustrades. Its banister was turned when the wood was green to curve up the stairs. The kitchen hearth was used for cooking and was in the original section of the house looking out on the extensive gardens. Mr. Rooney has added a sunroom to this section. The house next door was originally part of the property. Eight families have lived in the house, but none of them had any children. The first owner was a doctor who knocked down bricks if they were not placed correctly as the house was being built. One builder was a coffin maker and the stairway contains a typical niche for turning the coffin when it was taken downstairs after a death. The niche now contains a statue as was true of such practical niches in Victorian times. Craftsmanship is displayed in faux marble slate fireplaces and bulls eye cornices.
The house was restored by Mr. Rooney and completely rewired and replumbed. This is a private home.
Schifferstadt Architectural Museum
Shifferstadt Architectural Museum, located at 1110 Rosemont Avenue on the corner of 2nd Street in Frederick, was a prosperous farmer's manor house, completed in 1756 and has been a Frederick County landmark for two hundred and fifty years since it is the oldest dwelling in Frederick City. Named after owner Joseph Brunner's birthplace near Mannheim, Germany, it stands at the intersection of Rt. 15 and Rosemont Avenue.
In 1746, Joseph Brunner, the family patriarch, purchased 303 acres of a 1,000 acre tract known as "Tasker's Chance" from Daniel Dulany. The purchase price was ten English pounds. Shifferstadt was completed by 1756. Its sandstone walls are two and a half feet thick, and its hand-hewn beams of native oak are pinned together with wooden pegs. The roof's unusual kick-up flared eaves, the tremendous vaulted chimney, paling, insulated interior walls and exposed half-timering make it an important landmark. Considered one of America's finest examples of colonial German architecture, it is a stone house, which has been left almost exactly as it was built. A large front room with few furnishings and a large kitchen are on the first floor. Upstairs in the left bedroom at the top of the narrow staircase is a five jamb plate stove, dated 1756 and bearing the inscription in German: "Where your treassure is, there is your heart", is perhaps the only one at its original location in America. Visit and see "The Bible in Iron" and several other curiosities. The original hardware is a mark of fine construction, and a historically accurate 18th century German garden completes the picture of early farm life, while the vaulted cellar holds a gift shop.
Shifferstadt was acquired in July 1974 by Frederick County Landmarks Foundation, Inc. which is dedicated to the preservation of natural and historic landmards, sites, structures and local architectural design. Recent research has indicated that changes were made to the house since 250 years ago. A significant renovation in the mid 1800's caused an addition to be augmented. The restorations kept the look and feel of the 1756 building date. During this the 250th birthday, the foundation has also emphasized what was occuring in the world at the time the house was built, particularly the French and Indian War, which had a great impact on the families settling in Maryland as many of them abandoned their homes in the West and were fleeing through Frederick.
Enjoy Bell and History Days the first weekend in April, the Colonial Spring Fair the first Weekend in May and Oktoberfest the third weekend in October along with other lectures on living history every month plus Museums by Candlelight in mid December. Regular hours are noon - four p.m. Thursday - Sunday April - mid December. Call 301 663-3885 to arrange group tours or for specific appointments at other times.
Hill House Bed and Breakfast
Highlight a romantic getaway with Southern Maryland hospitality at the new Hill House Bed and Breakfast, a circa 1870 townhouse in downtown Frederick. The unique architecture and collection of art and family heirlooms add to the home's allure. Framed documents include Civil War letters and the works of Troy Howell are displayed. Guests can choose from four rooms. In the Victorian room are a china doll, childhood chair and canopied bed. The Chesapeake Room offers original Maryland art, tiger maple furniture and antiques, and opens on a furnished balcony. Sharing the outdoor gallery, the Mexican Room is alive with vibrant hand-painted furniture and art from the owners' travels. The third floor Steeple Suite reflects a colonial ambiance and includes a kitchen and sitting room. For breakfast, enjoy gourmet delights with biscuits, sausage, country ham, bacon, French toast and grits. Seasonal delicacies include fried apples and green tomatoes. Then, enjoy the town's best sightseeing, shopping and dining.
Innkeepers: Damian and Taylor Branson. 3 rooms and a suite all with private baths. Country breakfast and gourmet treats. Cash or check. Near Frederick attractions and historic area.
12 West Third Street, P.O. Box 4124, Frederick, MD 21705. 301-682-4111.
Go to the Hill House Web Site
Historical Society of Frederick County
In the stately Historical Society of Frederick County at 24 East Church St. in Frederick are various items concerning famous individuals. A Peale Portrait from 1745 of Major Colin Grahame who built Rose Hill Manor hangs in the formal dining room. Its decor came into fashion circa 1820 when the house which became the museum was constructed for Dr. Baltzell. It later served as the Loat's Orphanage and was also owned by Colonel A.B. Hansen. The Society purchased it in the l950s, and the garden club created an enchanting semi formal English garden behind the building in the l960s.
A room upstairs is devoted to the Civil War Era. One sofa is from the Worthington Farm near the Monocacy National Battlefield. Here was fought one of the most decisive battles, often called the battle that saved Washington, DC. In the Civil War Room, when I was there, letters were displayed from a father and son who were estranged by being on different sides of the conflict and from two lovers who were on differing sides but married in the end. Also there was the clock of Dr. John Tyler, the first American born ophthalmologist. Tyler's house was at 112 W. Church St. near that of John Nelson, Attorney General under President Jackson. A lithograph of Tyler's Home was on display. Exhibits change. Open Mon-Sat 10am - 4pm, Sun 1- 4pm Call 301-663-1188.
[Return to Historic Inns & Famous Homes of Maryland.]